Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Week 31: Montreal, QB

I've been looking forward to Montreal because I've been trying to plan a trip here for years now. French Canada is very different from the rest of the country, as is Vancouver I should say. The bilingual nature of the city is like nothing I've ever experienced; the easy flow between French and English, though signage is predominantly French. "Bonjour Hello!" is the standard greeting and from there is usually obvious based on someone's response which language you will continue with in the conversation.

Lots of culinary adventures here. First night Mandy and I went to Alpenhaus, a very cool Swiss restaurant, while Emily dined in the dark, served by blind waiters at O Noir. Crepes were had by almost everyone, and Saturday between shows Mandy and I made it to a lovely French restaurant in Old Town, Creperie Chez Suzettes. Sunday a few of us made it over to Lola Rosa, a vegetarian/vegan place in Plateau Mont Royal that was utterly delicious. With my continued exposure to this cuisine (thank you, Carly) I want to explore more recipes in the veggie field. I had a killer polenta stew that seemed nutritious and fairly easy to accomplish on my own.

There was also a bit of academic trouble happening during our time there. Concordia University studies were rioting about a raise in tuition, and it lead to vandalism and violence. Police brigades in full riot gear were running through the streets on several occasions. Strange to be there but utterly separate from this action, thank goodness.

Canada. Where they have ketchup flavored chips. I did not get around to trying them but they certainly look interesting...

Identical, beautiful brownstone type houses of very different colors. I loved all the different types of buildings in the city. Very much like New York, differing by neighborhood.

Some gorgeous outdoor art/graffiti on some wall siding in a cool Montreal neighborhood.

Mt Royal Park, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted who also created Central Park, is literally on the mountain. It was gorgeous, but quite a hike in jeans.

Just a seagull at the park, chillin' by the lake.

We found ourselves in the subway!! All the French speaking and posts in the city made me want to get back in to practice of the language.

Springtime is definitely on it's way. Between the daffodils and the tulips, there's plenty of flowers in the city a bloom. 

Our lovely and very modern theatre was in a grouping at the Place des Arts, which was connected to the subway in an underground complex. Apparently when it's cold out no one can be seen on the streets, only underground.

We've been itching for a ladies night, and Montreal seemed like the perfect location. Of course when ten beautiful actresses walk in to a bar on a Wednesday, the bar tender brings over a bottle of champagne on the house. Philemon is a great place to go out in Old Town, and if I'm ever back in Montreal I'll certainly return!!

The whole group. It was a pink and black sort of night. It went so well we decided a few more ladies nights would be in order before the majority of us are done (7 out of 10 of our girls for sure!!).

Michael enjoying a cup of coffee, and looking like a handsome devil, at a creperie on a lovely spring day.

My little station...makeup, knitting, and a Nietzsche quote: "Without music, life is a mistake."

Package number two from Sam: fluff + nutella + graham crackers = instant s'mores! He went on a 4,000 mile bike ride and this was apparently a very popular snack. Mandy and I devoured half of the supplies in one night.

Had a great hair day after the show and it deserved some photographs. I love this pseudo 40's pin up style...wish my hair had more texture and I could rock this look more often.

At Lola Rosa all the tables have drawers full of notes left behind by customers...like Post Secret. Carly found one reading "Beware...gingers have no souls". We beg to differ :)


While I loved my time in Montreal, I was happy to return to cell phone usage in Easton, PA, followed by New Brunswick, NJ and a much anticipated Golden Monday in: MANHATTAN!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Girl Good luck with your performances in Boston this weekend. If the tickets were not so outrageously expensive then I would have definitley come. :( Hope you're doing well. Let's catch up soon. Love Janine

    ReplyDelete