Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Week 27: Springfield and Toledo, OH

Springfield was just a little one nighter on the way to Toledo really, but we had a great time all the same. Really interesting to see these middle America little towns that seem to be stuck in another time all together.

Funky magician/vaudeville mural outside our hotel room window. 

I got it in my mind that I wanted my name written down by people I love for a photo project of sorts. Obviously one's given name holds a lot of weight, at least for me. To hear my name spoken or written by someone I care about, not just "Hey girl" or "You" but "Caroline" really means something to me. Mom's (down right) is my favorite, as always.


I had the privilege of staying with my friend Mandy at her home in Toledo, and it was a God send. So revitalizing to be in an actual home, even if we were hardly there that weekend. Her parents were incredibly welcoming and so happy to have us, we were spoiled rotten. The time was colored by delicious food and lots of animals...between Mandy's two vizclas and a backstage trip to the zoo with her mom who works at the zoo, it was a ton of fun.

The amazing four 'second dinners' at the household. Dr. S is something of an amateur chef and took great pride in our first and second (before and after the show) dinner menus. Colorful, wholesome, home-cooked meals that were pre-described to us, making it very difficult to get through the show. 

Tika and Toby, Mandy's vizsla pups. Such great dogs. Tika is a champion jumper and Toby is dumb and wonderful.

Toby isn't sure how big he really is...but he sure is a sweet boy.


Our trip to the zoo! Toledo Zoo is one of the world's most complete zoos and truly a gem among zoos. Of course I hold a little bias for San Antonio's zoo, which is also excellent, but Toledo is definitely up there. Didn't hurt that Mrs. S let us know when feeding and handling of the animals would occur, and even took a few of us behind the scenes to meet a few!

Just chillin on the children's zoo tire swing. It was something of a squeeze.

Because we were something of a VIP group they took out a lot of animals for us, including this enormous but docile python.

A close up on her beautiful skin. I'm not afraid of snakes at all really- it's spiders for this Miss Muffett :) I realize in the wild they are extremely dangerous, but at the zoo it's just a big beautiful creature. 

Michael made friends with one of the sloth bears. They touched hands too, and the bear would blow air through a screw opening in the glass.

One of the orangutans all bundled up, saying hello. She knew a few hand signs and was talking to a zoo volunteer.

Baby Lucas the African Elephant!! There are lots of babies at this zoo, including some brand new lemurs!


This is a good story. As we passed this fence we heard the boom of a lion's roar. I slowed down and tried to peak through the fence, then lay on the ground to see this...

These gorgeous lions were looking right at me!! Apparently they are those famous circus lions? Their enclosure was being renovated so they were in the back. Everyone ended up on the ground to get a good look, hence the previous picture. Glad to say I started it all :)

A little armadillo we got to meet in the back. She was shy...

And the ever exciting life of an understudy: I got to go on for three performances finishing out the weekend in Toledo!! Em hadn't been feeling well, but when her voice started to go she warned me. Saturday I was a villager in the morning and Belle by night, and then both shows Sunday. :) Amazing what a different kind of focus and energy it takes to play her versus my normal role. 

I just love the blue dress. The costume designer, Ann Hould-Ward, did an update for this tour the season was moved from winter to spring...shorter sleeves and hem lines all around. I love how this dress made a such transformation. 

My very favorite moment, the 'dress reveal'. I walk out behind a blue curtain which is lifted to reveal me in a pool of light in the famous gold dress. You can feel the audience sigh, and my heart always skips a beat. While I don't think I could ever wear a princess ball gown like this at my wedding, it feels like that moment, everyone looking at you as you fall in love with someone for the first time. 


Next week: Easter week in Pittsburgh, PA with old family friends Jessica and Chris!!



No comments:

Post a Comment