Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Week 38-39: Washington, DC

DC!! Another city that sparked a victorious shout when I saw it on the itinerary- there have been so many and I feel so blessed to have seen them all in just one year. Even though we were definitely working, sometimes I feel like we were on a very long vacation, hitting all the spots on my USA wish list.

I had the privilege of staying out of the hotel again, with my friend Marc from San Antonio. I have been so grateful to all my hosts, for relieving me of hotel life and providing a slice of "normal" life from time to time. Thanks to all my friends across the nation!!

Arrived in DC to a Texan warm welcome: homemade salsa, Shiner (which apparently they import there??!), and new friends. It was a great first afternoon.

Marc's roommate Rob, who I spent lots of time with as he was the only one really around had a dog...Murphy! He's an Irish wolfhound, mixed with something to change his coloring, clearly. He is such a sweet dog, even if he is enormous and ate all my groceries one day. 

On that note, Teddy, our wonderful family dog, passed away while I was in DC. He was a very old man at 16+, so we knew it was coming soon. Here he is as a little guy, with little Daniel. We will miss him so very much, but he's definitely in a better place. 

Marc was only here for a day overlapping my stay- what a guy, lending me his room for two weeks!! We went out to American Ice Co., a cool place on U Street, the District's up and coming bar and restaurant street. I think he did at least two of those pickle backs alone...

Our venue, the National Theatre, was across from the National Mall, giving us plenty of opportunities to visit the museums and monuments during our time there. I'm not actually sure what this building was, other than looking very Roman in design and HUGEly tall.

The Washington Monument. I recall not really like the obelisk as a child, but now I definitely see the beauty in it's simplicity. I saw the most of the Washington, as I ran around the Mall a few times.  

The White House. I think there was an event there that night, as well dressed people were coming by car and on foot, in addition to that big crowd you see pictured. Wonder if anyone was home...

Had a little day trip to NY for a callback, which made for QUITE a day. It was mostly spent on Amtrak trains, but it was definitely worth it to sing a few songs for Paul Gemignani, a renowned composer and music director. 

A few Stradivarius at the Smithsonian American History Museum. So many amazing artifacts at this museum, including the original Star-Spangled Banner. Spent several hours in here and saw such a small fraction- so much to see!!

New running shoes by Saucony!! I was having trouble with my knees, so I went to City Sports to get an opinion on my shoes. Bought these guys and I'm doing SO much better! One step closer to running a marathon (more on that later...).

The Lincoln Memorial from afar. It was definitely tourist high season, swarming with people everywhere I went. This one is particularly beautiful at night.

So, there is a Hill Country BBQ in the District. It is easily the best BBQ outside of Texas, and the original was very close to my undergrad acting classes. Dangerous, I know. 

Carter's family is from Bethesda, MD and threw us a big Golden day bash at their casa. We grilled, played beer pong, celebrated David's birthday and had a grand old time. Here Brian, me, Brittany, and Matt F share a big hug in the garage.

My Aunt Kathy (not pictured) and her two girls Emma and Phoebe came to see the show! Phoebe LOVES the theatre so she was over the moon to be there, and have a backstage tour.

This was an interesting political statement of sorts on the lawn in the middle of the National Mall. There were chairs for all the students who drop out of high school on a daily basis...which was a LOT. Really interesting statement and encouragement for education in America.

Sam came in to town on our second Saturday for a visit! We hung out before and between shows, then went out to an Ethiopian restaurant he'd been to when he interned in DC. I know it looks like quite the meal, but if you've never tried it, it's a MUST. So delicious and varied in flavor. 

Marc keeps a few orchids, and I woke up to this beautiful one every morning. 


I also went to see the Holocaust Museum and the Archives Museum, but no photos are allowed within the exhibits. They were both beautiful and moving in their own ways and I'm so glad I managed to take advantage of them while I was in town. Some visitors who came to see the show but are not shown in the pictures above included six friends from home (!!) and three from New York. What luck that so many schedules lined up!

Just one month left now! I can't believe how quickly time is passing toward the end. On further South to Charlotte, North Carolina for a week!


No comments:

Post a Comment