Friday, October 8, 2010

Dayton, OH

Well, it can't all be sunshine and roses I suppose. I didn't want to skip Dayton all together, but it hasn't been my best few days so far. Just a fair warning....

We arrived two days ago after a fairly painless drive through West Virginia and Ohio. We had two very early morning shows yesterday- 9:30 and 11:30am...which means we had to be at the theatre at 7:30. Anyone who knows me, knows I am the furthest thing from a morning person, and these days where our call is 7am are a little grating on my ability to be positive. Not to mention, Alice is a ROCK opera...I don't know anyone who rocks out at 9:30. But alas, children's theatre is on a completely different time schedule. I made it though! And it was another old building, the Victoria Theatre, original construction in the 1860's. Gotta love these.

The stage right boxes. It's hard to capture these theatre interiors...



Long ago in tour planning, our director asked if we would be willing to do a visit to a children's hospital here, since we would be done early in the day. We were all very happy to do so back then, in hypothetical land, but after two shows we were all a little apprehensive. We got to the hospital and our first visit completely changed our minds: a five year old named Nevin on the oncology floor. His walls (and floor, and ceiling) were plastered in super heroes, including pictures of himself dressed up as Spiderman, Batman, and Jack Sparrow. he was full of jokes and little songs, and entertained us more than we did him. Getting us on the right foot, we went on to see 6 more kids, talking about cartoons, baseball, Alice...we even sang for one girl who is going into drama in high school. It was a hard day but we were glad we went in the end. A photographer was there, and when I get a picture I will be sure to post.

Today was one of our few days off- no driving, no shows- and we planned to go to the air force museum, as Dayton is the home of aviation. But half way through the night I woke up feeling terrible. Turns out I had some sort of stomach bug or food poisoning and have spent the last 15 hours in bed. I had something similar in February, and I'll spare you all the hairy details...its awful. I'm really grateful we didn't have to perform or travel, but what a way to spend our day off!!

On top of that, today was Dad's birthday. The past few days leading up to it I've been thinking about him, how strange this day would be. My family is all going to dinner at one of his favorite's, Pappadeaux's, and as usual I am elsewhere. I hate being away from home on these occasions. I've missed Catherine and Dad's birthdays, and I'll miss Carrie's by just a few days all on tour. Holidays and birthdays have always meant a lot to me, and being away from my family-especially since I'm always the only one- is no fun.

So, two rough days in a row. I know they are unavoidable, but I'm hoping we are on the upslope now. Headed to Toledo tomorrow, and then a few days off in St. Louis next week before we do Pocahontas again...oh yeah, we still have two shows!!

No comments:

Post a Comment