Sunday, October 3, 2010

Brentwood, NY and Allentown, PA

So, this is a city combo because it all happened so fast its hard to separate the two.

We arrived in Allentown two days ago. Saturday morning we woke very early (in the car at 7 am) to drive to Brentwood, NY, on Long Island. We crossed the George Washington Bridge through Manhattan (weird...see below) and into Long Island. We did two shows here, then had dinner at an AMAZING restaurant named Emilio's. Our pizza fanatic, Damian, bought the pies and we were stuffed to the gills on the drive back. Then today, we had a matinee at the theatre in Allentown. LOVE the one show matinee Sunday. So a bit back and forth, but both days we've had swarms of very happy kids, and that is what it's all about.

"Allentown? I'm offering you the chance to star in biggest musical Broadway's seen in 20 years and you say 'Allentown'?" Just kept thinking that today...but look at this theatre!!



Going through New York was not what I expected. I suppose I knew all along we'd have to pass through, but I didn't know it would evoke such an emotional response from me. I got very choked up and bothered that we couldn't stop at all. It felt unnatural to just drive through Manhattan...particularly being very near my old apartment and my friends' new place in the heights. I had a list in my head of things I needed to do: people I wanted to see, to walk through Union Square, take a dance class, see a show, to eat here or there... the list never stopped. I thought I did not miss Manhattan, but it turns out I miss it terribly.

The change in weather also makes me think about school. With Fall comes sweaters and notebooks and homework and Halloween and the first show of the season. I've had senioritis for so long, but I do miss school after all. I find myself remembering classes and groaning about early mornings....how I wish I'd known it only gets earlier. Anyhow, I think Fall may be my favorite season, and getting the full affect up North has been lovely. I only wish I'd packed another sweater.

Next stop: Princeton, WV!

No comments:

Post a Comment