Friday, May 27, 2011

This Will Be Our Year

This month has been chalk full of good stories, and while I realize it's my own fault for not publishing the Italy series earlier- as in last month- I have to interject a very current sentiment between Ep.2 and Ep. 3. It is brief but relevant.

So, both the Spring practicum showcase and the Tisch Salute of 2011 have come and gone. The big, bad world has greeted a fresh crop of students. It is May again, a year later. What a year of life it has been. Everyone I know has said the first year out of school is one of the most difficult in life, but I think somehow Life handed me a double dose of reality. After the tour last fall, being home was good but confused my priorities. Coming back to New York was difficult and it has been an epic spring, full of ups and downs, heart ache, fear, joy, friends, auditions, work, money, grief, gray skies, and blue skies.

I felt my heart lift in March, like the turn of a coin. I decided the ONLY way out is up, and that's where I was going. I got the job at Paragon, started exercising regularly, went to auditions. I found more peaceful days, where the sky cleared and it was ok to be here. 'Here' being New York, alive, a poor actor, everything. I started talking to Dad, finding him in little places around town. When he comes up in conversation I don't feel my throat close, I'm eager to talk about him.

The month of yes, you May.


So May has come and I'm overwhelmed with positivity! I've been working five times a week, had several excellent auditions, seen friends, been to many joyful celebrations, gained a little niece, and the news of the day: booked one of my dream jobs. I'm headed out on the Beauty and the Beast national tour, dancing in the ensemble and covering the role of Belle. It's a long contract, July 2011-August 2012, but it's truly a dream come true, to be in this show again, in this role. I announced it today on the Facebook and received an overwhelming amount of support and praise. It kept coming in for hours. Texts, wall posts, calls. I feel so uplifted by the love around me, the validation of being cast after months of auditioning, I am starting to feel like the Caroline from last May. And that is a wonderful feeling.

My new baby niece, Catherine's daughter Berkley Anne Bridger. She had a long journey to get home, and we are so blessed to have her. And I'm totally jealous of her romper.

New frames from See Eyewear. Thanks to Groupon. I had no idea my 5 year old glasses prescription was that off.

I'm apartment-sitting this month for my sweet friends Sam and Jason. And their kitty Gus LOVES to be inside boxes and bags. Everything I've unpacked he's gotten in to immediately. Cutie pie.

Last time I did Beauty and the Beast...NESA 2005. :)


I promise Italy 3.0 is next. And I'm pretty excited about blogging through this next tour, hitting the road again to cover cities through another show. Happy Memorial Weekend y'all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm tearing up; I'm so happy for you. I'm selfishly sad that you won't be here with me this year, but I cannot express the joy in my heart for your success. You deserve it. I love you.

    ReplyDelete