Saturday, August 14, 2010

Just Visiting


Left Manhattan yesterday. Got to see many friends and wander the dirty city without too much of an agenda. I’m the queen of lists, so of course I had one of people I wanted to see. But I’m constantly amazed at how I manage to meet/run into people in really interesting situations. Long story short, I had the chance to spend time with people I never expected to see. One more affirmation that making plans is futile: life just happens to you.

Started reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell on recommendation from a new friend I worked with this summer. It’s about the snap judgments we make about people or situations. He says, “We need to respect the fact that it is possible to know without knowing why we know and accept that- sometimes- we’re better off that way.” I know, I had to read that sentence a few times. But it's something I struggle with, always trying to over-describe a feeling.  So far the book is really interesting and I have a feeling I'll be done soon. I'm always looking for recommendations for my next read...send them my way!

Also surrounded by poetry lately. Cummings has always been a favorite of mine, and this recently cropped up on our bulletin board at home. My friend Gracie worked on the poem my freshman year in voice and speech at Adler, so I heard it often. We were really close and she recited it the last day of classes, only a week before she transferred to another university. I can hear her voice like a salve in my ears as I read it. I’m sure you’ve all read it, but just a reminder. You won’t regret it.


i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart)
i am never without it (anywhere i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)

i fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet)

i want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)

and you are whatever a moon has always meant and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)

and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

No comments:

Post a Comment